The CDPHE advises:
- Keep out of rivers and streams until further notice.
- Do not allow children or pets to play in or near the water.
- Do not allow children to play with toys that have been in contact with the water.
- Individuals who come in contact with the water or are involved in cleaning up flood debris would practice good personal hygiene and wash their hands frequently with soap and clean warm water.
- If a person is exposed to the water and has open wounds or begins to feel ill with diarrhea or vomiting, he or she should contact a physician for guidance and inquire about receiving tetnus/diptheria inoculations.
- Agricultural workers who come in contact with such waters should also practice good personal hygiene and wash hands frequently with soap and clean war wat.